Friday, April 14, 2017

Little Boy Lives in a Copper Camp



At the Phoenix Museum of Art I encountered what is my favorite work of art. Nothing before has ever resonated with me like this piece. It by Arizona artist Lew Davis and is titled: Little Boy Lives in a Copper Camp -1939 - oil on canvas. If I could have one work of art to look upon every day of my life it would be this. In the boy's expression you see the longing for a life that will never be. How much potential, how much imagination how much life and dreams of young boys and girls have been squandered for the benefit of the power mongers? He wears loose fitting pants and has no shirt, thus no pride, no identity, no hope. I think of all the children who's lives are ruined every day and I am filled with sadness and rage.

No comments: