Saturday, October 13, 2007

Art Brut


This piece titled "Archons" was from my MFA Thesis show. It depicts my older brother and myself holding our father's military swords while standing in front of our mother's home in her village in Greece. Like my other thesis oil paintings, this was done in an Art Brut fashion. I would build up the layers of paint, scrape them back down, build up, scrape down, etc. until I reached a certain level. The process is very time consuming, wastes quite a bit of paint and is physically demanding (because of the scraping). It is a cathartic way of painting though, and very expressive as you destroy and rebuild.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always liked this piece of yours. Something very primitive is going on here. The marriage of the swords and the technique of scraping down is very masculine, yet the image is quite tender. There's a lot going on in this piece.
From Brian Busch

Anonymous said...

What does this picture say? Is it about two young companions vowing to preserve their friendship for eternity? Is it about brothers celebrating their heritage? Is it about the evolution of video games from 8 to 16 bit? Only God knows.